[Note: WLIR displays only 10 posts on the main page. All posts are accessible via the Archives.]

Friday, July 22, 2005

 

Friday Guilty Pleasures Blogging:
Snobbery

Front cover of 'Romance of the Snob Squad,' by Julie Anne PetersLet me just say upfront, before you raise your hackles and hiss at me, that I do not indulge this guilty pleasure by choice. I really don't like being a snob, and don't think I usually am. At the same time, one must be honest and admit the truth: there is great evil pleasure to be taken from feeling superior to others.

One of my main rules of life: Everybody's a snob about something. This is a descriptive rather than a prescriptive rule; there's nothing to be done about it, no action indicated, no doctor or other agent of public safety to be consulted. It's just the way things are.

The key phrase in that rule of life is about something. I don't think I've ever met a Perfect Snob (Sebastian Junger should investigate that), and am certain I wouldn't like such a person if I had met her. But everybody is (or fancies himself) better, in at least one respect, than at least one other person.

So what do I often feel snobbish about?
I won't dwell on the inner experience of feeling snobbish. In fact, having said even this much about the topic rather gives me the willies. In your dating days -- if you're polite -- you try never to be caught by your date, ogling someone you're not dating. At least, you don dark glasses. Talking about your own snobbery is like taking off the dark glasses and saying See? See me looking elsewhere?

Which makes your own snobbery, of course, one of the guiltiest of guilty pleasures.



* On the other hand, once I start a book I almost always finish it. One exception, and don't try to talk me out of it, was The Prince of Tides. I couldn't -- can't -- believe so many people whose opinions I respect were so ga-ga over it. I got about 15-20 pages into it, thinking the whole time, JEE-zus, what a blowhard this guy is...! Which, needless to say, put me off cracking open any of Mr. Conroy's other works.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?